Friday, December 13, 2013

Injury Update

The news at the doctor's office wasn't as good as I had hoped. I'm still trying to process it all. The basic diagnosis is that I have a partially torn cartilage in my wrist. The good news is that it is only a partial tear. The bad news is that it's there in the first place!



Without going into too much detail right now, the basic thing is -- no lifting, grappling, pulling/pushing, any pressure and very limited movement for at least a month.

There were other more invasive treatment options available, but for right now this is what I want to do. I don't feel ready to try anything else. I'm going to stay off my wrist for a month and then reevaluate my situation.

Upon leaving the doctor's office, I felt a massive wave of panic. One month? What am I going to do? Sure I could walk/run, but what else? I need to do more! What about my MMA training? No grappling or contact - are you kidding me? That type of scenario just doesn't fit in my reality at the moment.

Eventually I calmed down and thought -- I'm going to see this as a challenge. This is the perfect opportunity to put myself to the test and see what kind of fitness plan I would recommend if I had a client who was in my situation. I've got to take that advice and apply it to myself.

The two key things -- keep moving and watch my nutrition.

I'm hoping to keep staying positive and see this as an exploration/an adventure into what else I can do. I thought a lot about Leigh and how she got through her recovery when she had her broken ankle. I think at the beginning of an injury it seems like the day you're fully back to the activities you love seems like an eternity away --- but it's not. The day does come. I just need to be patient until I get there!

Wish me luck! I have a feeling I'm going to need it!!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck, as momma used to say...patience is a virtue;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear that you're going to have to modify your plans for a month, but I think taking it as a challenge is the perfect way to look at it. Especially now that you've gotten your certification, pretend that you're your client. This is a great test for you in a lot of ways. I know you'll come up with something great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to do awesome because you are awesome! It sucks for sure, but this too shall pass. I am thankful everyday that I get to go out and run. Much more appreciative than I was pre broken ankle:) Chin up darl'in xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your wrist. i don't think you say how it happened.

    Look at how after every UFC event there are enforced layoffs to injured fighters! They all find other ways to keep fit till they heal, and so will you!

    Don't worry, you will be ready for further punishment soon, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, I am sure you will manage well..you always do :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)