Monday, December 2, 2013

My Wrist

I had an excruciatingly painful session with my physiotherapist today. Tears sprung to my eyes more than once. There were definitely points during the session when I thought, 'Screw this, I'll just deal with the injury; the treatment is too painful.'



this is how my hand/wrist looked on Friday 


Part of my physiotherapy involves undergoing IMS - intramuscular stimulation (this is a great article explaining the basics of how it works). Basically needles are used to release tension/tightness in the muscles. By loosening the muscles in my forearm (and even upper arm), enough space should be created so that my wrist can be relocated in its proper place.

I had my 3rd IMS/physiotherapy treatment today, and it was really brutal. Tears sprung to my eyes, but I just grit my teeth and kept telling myself - if you want to continue MMA training, then you're going to have to deal with a lot more pain than this!



some of the needles in my forearm

So, my recovery seems to be taking a long time. I am not allowed to lift heavy things or do any pushing/pulling movements, so grappling practice and weight lifting have been ruled out for a while.

I'm not taking that news well at all!

Still, I know that I need to give my wrist a chance to recover. I'll be trying to do what I can to make sure I keep as active as possible.

In the meantime, I'm rocking a brace both day and night to help stabilize my wrist. I guess there will be a lot of cardio and core work in the upcoming weeks!


6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! That first picture is scary. Poor you - I'm glad you are getting therapy and that a full recovery will be possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ayesha, Ouch!!! That is so swollen! Is there a broken bone??? Once, when my foot was that level of swollen, I had a broken bone.

    Have you ever read a Joe Weider weightlifting book from start to finish? When I have injuries that stop me from weightlifting, I read up on strategies and principles of weightlifting....may as well get better in some way while healing!

    And I hope you do heal quickly...but it is *very* smart to let it heal properly w/o weightlifting. I wish I could explain that to a bunch of ridiculous people I know at the gym--who manage to never let themselves heal without aggravating their injuries and making them even worse. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get over how swollen your hand is in the first pic. It looks incredibly painful. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Diane that the picture is scary! It certainly looks very painful. I hope you get it back to good working condition very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your wrist really looks bad...take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, now I see!

    I once punched a concrete wall at full power when I thought that the mat over it was padded! My hand looked a lot like yours! I couldn't close my fingers around a steering wheel. It took a while, but it eventually got better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)