Sunday, January 19, 2014

Holiday Recap

No matter how old I am, I think I will always cry when I say good-bye to my mom. The people at the airport/on my flights must have thought I was suffering through some enormous tragedy because I kept welling up. It was so hard for me to leave her behind --- yet I was ready to come 'home.'

My trip to Bangladesh was great. Despite the horrendous political situation, I enjoyed my time there. My only regret was not being able to spend more time with my mother and my grandmother. Still, I had fun.

Here are a few pix from my trip:


We took a day trip to a nearby village where we have a farm. I got to pick some fresh fruits and vegetables - something that I definitely don't get to do in Kuwait! Farm to table indeed! 


I love CNGs and rickshaws! I didn't get to ride in a rickshaw this time, but I enjoyed my jerky adventure in a CNG :)


I got to meet up with some old friends. These are the girls that took me in and helped me adjust to life in Bangladesh when I was there during the 1990/1991 Gulf War. 


My mom and I *love her*


My grandmother and I *love her too!* 


This is the rooftop of our apartment building -- and it was my gym while I was in Dhaka. Mom and I would walk in the evenings. I also did sprints and other body weight exercises in addition to running stairs every once in a while. 


There was something so simple and charming about the markets in Dhaka. Perhaps it can be seen as primitive -- but it was something I loved to see - shopkeepers with their wares. 


There is so much to say about my country. It's one of those places (like Kuwait) that you just can't understand until you actually go and visit. The first thing that will strike you is the absolute poverty and the endless number of people on the street. It's poor and it's crowded.  Yet once you get past that (and it does take some time) a different type of beauty is revealed.

Something about my trip really struck me this time. I just felt so appreciative of everything I had. Even though my country is in turmoil at the moment, I felt an enormous amount of love for Bangladesh. It was a good feeling. It felt like home. A few years ago, a heart-breaking survey revealed that it was the worst country in the world to live in -- how sad. However, another survey revealed that it also had the happiest people in the world -- that's the country I saw during my trip to Dhaka this year. I hope this happy spirit, despite the poverty and corruption, continues to thrive.

4 comments:

  1. It looks like you had an amazing time.

    I'm the same as you, whenever I leave my mama, I well up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post!!! My daughter is preparing to visit Europe and Asia, and they are preparing her for the poverty. We are so blessed, but yet sometimes I feel so poor. An eye opening and mind blowing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom and grandmother are beautiful, and I know you miss them a lot. So glad you had a good visit with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel, I feel that every time I come back. I miss everybody at home I even miss all the sound and the colors...I always take time to adjust back :( suddenly it becomes so quiet for me...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)