Tuesday, March 25, 2014

No More Running

I've made the decision - I won't be running anymore. At least not for the time being. Every time I run, especially on pavement, my left knee and the right side of my hip hurt for days. The pain interferes with my other workouts.

I really do what to be able to run, but now is not the time. It's something that I want, but it's not something that I love (yet).

So, I'm going to focus on my other fitness activities - weight lifting and MMA training plus cardio, either walking or on the cross-trainer.

This decision of mine is actually not just about fitness. It's about me finally realizing that I can't do everything, and that it's ok. There have been way too many times in my life that I have done things I didn't want to do or that I've sacrificed things that I really wanted to do for things that I interpreted as things I 'should' do.

Instead of overwhelming myself, I'm finally making decisions (that are becoming much easier to make) in favor of the bigger picture -- in favor of making myself happy in the long term, not just right now.




12 comments:

  1. Aw, that sucks about the running. But you have so much other stuff that you love to do and that you're awesome at. Running is minor when compared to all that other stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh. I haven't written it out completely. It's just something that I can't focus on right now -- but maybe one day :)

      Delete
  2. I always tell people I'd rather be a healthy walker than an injured runner! It can be hard to give up something that you want though - I think you are smart to take a break from running to give your body a chance to heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. As I become more active, I'm also trying to become smarter! :)

      Delete
  3. that's a very smart thing you said about realizing not everything can be done..I wish I could get that in my head...I always get overwhelmed by trying to do so many things and trying to put in equal effort in everything...very tiring..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be exhausting! Things are always so busy. I just want to make sure I do my very best whatever I set out to do. At the moment, running will have to wait.

      Delete
  4. Awe to bad! BUT, injury free is the best way to go!!! I will never push thru pain when its an injury or if in doubt!!! Smart choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Injury free is definitely my goal! :)

      Delete
  5. I think you are making a smart decision. You can always reevaluate it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! For sure -- it's just something that I'm not ready for at this moment in time. Who knows what the future holds! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi A, As you probably know, I do not run. I don't feel bad about it at all because like you explain--other stuff I want to do more. Running is not worth the potential injury when I can do weightlifting and yoga with much less risk to myself. You're making a good decision. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. For what it's worth: http://calorielab.com/news/2014/03/26/a-brief-primer-on-injury-free-running/#more-18330

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)