Tuesday, June 24, 2014

MetaFit

Regardless of my schedule, I've found that if I can hit the gym regularly, my life begins to feel 'normal.' I still have a lot of house stuff to deal with, but I feel like I finally have a bit of a routine. My main goal right now is to wake my body up! I'm happy with the weights program I have for myself. I've mixed in both my own workout plus the one set up by one of the trainers at the gym -- it feels great. I'm not lifting heavy, but I am challenging myself with every rep. I can't even put into words how good it feels to get back into it!

On top of weight lifting, I've started doing one more thing -- MetaFit class.

Metafit actually originated at the gym that I go to. It's a circuit of body weight exercises, choreographed to specific work/rest intervals. Here's a link to a brief intro video -- MetaFit Class. The class reminds me of CrossFit, just minus the weights.

When you hear the description of 'bodyweight' exercises and 'no equipment' and '30 minutes' -- it can raise a lot of questions.

How difficult can it be?
Will it be effective?
Will it be interesting enough to keep me motivated?

It all boils down to one basic answer: It depends on you.  

It is very, very challenging. As with anything, it all depends on how much effort you want to put into it. The good thing about the class is that you can adapt it to your physical capabilities -- there are always ways to modify an exercise if you need to and there are always ways to turn it up a notch (or two) if something is easy.

As with any type of HIIT training, I think it is very effective. Again, it also depends on what you put into it -- not just in class, but after class. The workouts get your heart rate up, they really push you, and the effects are long lasting … however, if you leave class and eat unhealthily, it can negate the positive impact of the class.

In terms of being interesting -- I've gone to 5 classes so far and I've only had 1 repeated workout. It really depends on your attitude towards the exercises. There are so many bodyweight exercises that I dread -- mountain climbers, burpees, explosive jacks -- but if you take it as a challenge to get at least one more rep in each time or at least improve your form, then it keeps it interesting. Add to that the dynamic of the class and the coaches motivating you and I think you've got a winning formula. Let's put it this way, it's no more monotonous than going to a spinning class or a Body Pump class -- you know what to expect, you have your basic set of moves, but somehow each class is different.

While you can do all of the exercises at home with no extra equipment or the need for much space, it's not the same when you don't do it with the class or with a trainer. You know that you'll push harder when somebody else is there with you -- that in itself adds to the perks of the class.


So that's what I've been doing here. I've really been trying hard and I can feel it in my body. I've got that good kind of sore feeling going on all the time and I love it. All I need to do now is fit in some proper MMA training and I'll be set!





2 comments:

  1. This is the first time I have heard of metafit but when I looked at the video I realized I do it twice a week...I love doing body weight stuff just because I can keep up with it even when I don't have access to the gym and all those jumps get my heart rate up really nice...I love it, this along with jogging is my usual workout when I go on a vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same, I need to be active to feel normal :-)

    Body weight exercises are fine! I do them all the time. Pull ups, push ups, ect, are excellent!

    Perhaps you can buy a heavy bag to practice on at home? Or the Wavemaster, which I like. It's around $100 US.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)