Tuesday, September 23, 2014

'Crazy' Tuesdays

The best part of getting to the end of a Tuesday is looking back on all that I accomplished through the day. Usually when people hear about my Tuesday workouts they are quick to criticize - but that's too much, you're overdoing it, you're crazy (I hate that the most).

It's just one day. It's one day in the week when it just so happens that the exercise classes I want to attend are going on ... so I go.

It's really not that bad:
7 a.m. Yoga - starting off the day with a good stretch (1 hour)
11 a.m. Weight lifting - this usually lasts 45 minutes; right now I'm doing 3 sets of 6 reps - I'm aiming to lift heavy with good form (and yesterday I ended my set of back squats at 80 kilos! I end my lifting session with a bit of light cardio - uphill walk or yesterday skip rope (around 20 min)
12:30 p.m. MetaFit - 30 minutes of HIIT -- this leaves me exhausted
7:30 p.m. Jiujitsu - 2 hours -- this would be extra exhausting if I was rolling the whole time, but a lot of this 2 hours involves instruction plus slow practice of the technique

So yes, it's a lot, but they all balance out. Plus I rest/recover between MetaFit and Jiujitsu -- and I don't have anything until Wednesday evening, so I get to rest then.

I actually don't really need to justify myself as to what I'm doing when. I just find it really annoying when people are quick to criticize, and it happens way too often. Ironically, it's the healthier habits that get criticized and not the bad ones.

Eat a whole pizza? No judgment.

Exercise for 4 hours in one day - holy shit, you're crazy. That must be terrible for you.

How has this happened? Forget about body image and body size -- just think about health. With the thousands and thousands of gyms around the world and endless health and fitness articles and weight loss aids out there, why are people still surprised when people take actions to get healthy?

I feel like people are still looking for a quick fix - I pill that will make it all go away. It just doesn't work that way. In the beginning, the change may be a little uncomfortable, but if you stick to it, it gets easier. You just have to want to do it ... and hopefully you can also find something you enjoy doing.

I don't mind getting up at 5:30 a.m. to make sure that a healthy lunch is packed.
I don't mind getting to the gym at 6:30 a.m. to get in an early workout, especially if I know I'll have a busy day and won't be able to squeeze it in otherwise.

I may feel a bit tired at first. I may have second thoughts about doing it, but I know that after it's done I feel so good ... and what's more, at the end of the day, when I look back on all that I've accomplished, I feel happy. Instead of feeling upset at the bad choices I made or regret that I didn't get a workout in, I feel fulfilled --- and who wouldn't want to feel good at the end of the day?

I wonder if all people who are persistent with their workouts and healthy habits are told that they are 'crazy'. Sometimes it feels like people don't want you to succeed - it's like they see the work you're putting in and the progress you're making, but instead of supporting you, they criticize. Is it because they need to also put some work in but can't be bothered? Are they envious? Why is praise so hard to give? Forget about praise - just refrain from criticizing. Is that so hard to do?

I wonder at what point you become admired for your dedication instead of criticized for it.

In the end, I really don't care. Life is too short to worry about these things. It does get to me sometimes, but I just have to remember that at the end of the day, it's my life ... and it's worth putting in the work in order to be happy.





6 comments:

  1. I have experienced this so many times but I have noticed over time some people have changed and actually started working out telling me I motivated them, some people who called me crazy actually try and fit in a workout with me during the week because they find that's the only way they can workout...so I have decided not to stop and keep doing what makes me happy, I don't care if people think I am crazy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Generally I'm ok, but sometimes comments like these still bug me especially from people who never seem to have anything nice to say!

      Delete
  2. In total awe of your energy level, A. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:48 PM

    Well...i am noone to criticise. I just admire you..👍👍👍

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)