Monday, September 29, 2014

FitBit Faults

I haven't been wearing my FitBit for the past few days. Ever since it stopped syncing properly with MyFitnessPal I started to get annoyed. I also realized that with the types of exercises I do - weight lifting and a lot of jiujitsu, I am actively working out but I'm not really logging any steps - particularly for jiujitsu.

I had become so focused on trying to hit 10,000 steps a day that I didn't take into any consideration the types of exercises. Instead, I was getting frustrated that even after working out for 2 or more hours, I hardly had any steps to indicate my effort.

I do like having it to track my steps. I'm just going to have to be a bit more lenient with the numbers and rely on myself more for accurately noting the intensity and effort of my workouts. Daily step counts have definitely not been the best measure of my efforts. It was important for me to come to terms with this because I was starting to obsess over the numbers -- even all this time it is easy to get sidetracked by numbers and comparisons with others. As soon as I realized that I was losing focus of the bigger picture, I took off my FitBit and just did what I had to do. Now that I've been without it for a few days, I definitely feel better.






3 comments:

  1. I get obsessed with steps and not effort at times. I'd feel guilty if I did a hot yoga class and ran, but had under 10,000 steps. I decided to stop wearing it this month to see if I can make progress at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that mentality completely!

      Delete
  2. Very useful info. Hope to see more posts soon! fitbit charge 3 setup on computer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)