Friday, September 26, 2014

Priorities and Discipline

I feel like the past 2 weeks have really put  my discipline to the test -- and since I'm blogging instead of writing my chapter, you can see that I haven't always succeeded. Still, I have been trying.

This week has been especially difficult as I've been trying to stay on top of my meals with a lot of home cooking -- it's all been great, but I do think I've spent way too much time in the kitchen. I need to maybe cook in bigger batches or find something quicker/easier to make.

I turned up the focus and intensity during jiujitsu training to prepare for my blue belt test. I scaled back my weight training to make sure I'm not too sore for the belt test. I modified my workout times/types in order to get them done and sit down at my desk and write ...

So there's been a lot of adjusting. As much as I'd love to have a perfect, static schedule, it's just never going to happen, so I need to be flexible and adapt.

It has been hard for me to get back to academic writing. I'm still not fully set up in my attic office. Most of my research books are still in storage. I don't have access to a proper academic library ... and of course there's the writing itself. It's such a struggle ... My mind is not focused because all I want to do is workout, blog, or cook. Still, I need to put my head down and do it. It may not be a physical task, but the mind over matter focus still comes into play here.

So now that I already went to Muay Thai class at 6:30 a.m., Yoga class at 7:30 a.m., came back home, showered, ate breakfast, and wrote this blog post there is officially nothing more for me to procrastinate with -- so I'm off to write!



and for today

WRITE

8 comments:

  1. It's because we don't like to sit still. I also have a problem writing due to having to sit still Force yourself to be still. But once you get into it, writing is magic for those of us who have our way with words. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a long time to get into it, but I'm glad I finally managed to get the chapter done!

      Delete
  2. Hey - sounds like a long day but you whipped your procrastination (for the day)!

    Back when I was in college I recall my dislike of writing two APA papers a week... I guess I got good at it so I could pump them out in a few hours (after the research was done) and got good grades - it is like anything else though... hang in there... (I'm happy to be done with school). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've found it takes me quite a while to find my writing groove. Once I do, it gets (slightly) easier :)

      Delete
  3. Procrastination is my middle name, at least it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all about the big batch cooking! I love to make meat loaf in muffin tins and toss them in the freezer. Then I can just grab one or two for a meal. I find that roasted veggies reheat well (IMO). And that way I can roast a bunch and only have to heat up the kitchen once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, tuna or salmon burgers are my emergency meal. They're so easy to make and they're filling!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)