Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Mind Games

I had another hectic morning of errands to run. Still dealing with the craziness of mom's papers. Today we walked around for ages in 55 C degree heat (125 F). It was not fun ... plus there was no good news. We both came home completely deflated.

As soon as I got home I really thought that I wouldn't be able to motivate myself to go to CrossFit. I love the classes, but the sessions are really intense. Plus I want to give it my all when I go there. However, I also knew that I would be really disappointed in myself if I didn't go.

So, at 3:30 I left the house and headed over to the Box. {CrossFit workout studios are called CrossFit Boxes.}

Warm-up
5-min jump rope
3 rounds of 10 pull-ups, 10 squats, 10 push-ups

Strength focus
Overhead squats - reps: 20, 15, 10, 8, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3
My set of 20 was just with a non-weighted bar. For the rest I lifted 20 kg - really challenging keeping your balance as you both squat and push the weight over your head! For the last 3 sets I lifted 25 kg. It got better as I went along. It really has so much to do with focus -- you need to concentrate and push yourself -- so much of this has to do with mental strength!

WOD - 7 min, AMRAP
Start with 3 reps then increase by 3 for each set (3, 6, 9 etc.) - alternating dead lift high pulls (I used the 20 kg bar) and box jumps. I completed 5 1/2 rounds.

A word about box jumps --


Jumping of any kind is tough for me, but I try it and I want to improve.
Today we did box jumps -- so far I've just been jumping the single box; today I approached the double box. I wanted to start it before we began the WOD. Two of the other girls in the CrossFit group showed me how it was done - they made it look so easy. Then it was my turn ...

Approach - hesitate - fail.
Approach - hesitate - fail.
Tell myself - It's all in your head, at least try it. Don't hesitate.
Approach - hesitate - fail.

Ugh.

I want to be able to jump the double box. I guess it's going to come down to both practice and self-confidence. The hesitation is what kills me. It's just like I was writing about yesterday - the mental struggle really weighs me down. There's no doubt that it's challenging, but perhaps the level of intimidation wouldn't be as high if my mind would just switch off!

Glad I made it to CrossFit though - my legs feel like jelly after over 100 squats in today's whole workout - but it's a good jelly feeling :)


5 comments:

  1. I can only imagine 125 degrees and how awful it must be. I've seen 113 on a sign in Phoenix, Arizona and I've seen 42 below when we lived in Anchorage, Alaska but you have me beat. Does it also get cold there in winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat here really is tough to handle, but we're lucky in that it's dry heat and pretty much every place is air conditioned so you only really feel it when you're outside.

      It does get cold in winter, relatively speaking. It can go down to 30 F and probably 20 in the desert though it doesn't snow; we just get frost sometimes.

      Delete
  2. Wow. 55C. Just wow. Our humidex was 36C and we thought it was harsh.

    Those Crossfit box jumps are intense! A friend of mine owned a CF gym with her husband and I toured it one time; those double box jumps scared me. Good for you for attempting them, you'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jumping.

    When was the last time we jumped? Jumped for the sake of jumping? Jumped rope? YEARS. Adults don't jump. Somehow we lose our ability to do it, try it or even think about it.

    My kids jump all the live long day. On things, off thing, over things. I actually try and channel into their energy when I'm face with the box jump at CrossFit. They wouldn't be scared to try it, so why should I be? The worst thing that could happen is that I miss and bruise my shins. So I go for it. And after a little pep talk , I can usually get the jump off.

    WHen you are able to get out of your head and just do it, you are gonna feel so awesome. Not only is it a huge mental accomplishment, the physical benefits of jumping are awesome!! you are gonna feel it everywhere!! Abs, calves, etc. GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. I can only jump on a single box, too. Something about approaching that double box, seeing that the top of the box is a good six inches or more ABOVE my knee, and my mind buckles! I'm working on it, though. I can jump up once - maybe twice - but that's about all I can handle before I start panicking and and thinking about falling. There should be a box in between the single and the double. A sort of 1 1/2 box!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)