Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cravings, Dust, and Hot Pink Shoes

Last night I went out with a few girlfriends. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous, and last night was the perfect evening to sit outdoors, chat, laugh, and enjoy some iced tea (unsweetened, of course).

I got home at around half past eleven and I had crazy cravings. I wanted to eat something - I wasn't sure what, all I knew was I wanted it to be yummy. Mmmm what I would have given to have some chips and salsa! Fortunately (unfortunately) there was absolutely NOTHING in the house to snack on. The closest thing to junk food in the house is a box of After Eight mints (40 calories a piece by the way). As delicious as After Eight's are, they're really don't work when it comes to satisfying a craving. *sigh* I'm glad that I don't keep junk food in the house - it's for days like this, which I'm happy to say don't happen often.

I know my will power hasn't changed as much as I would have liked it to ... I know that had there been some tostitos in the cupboard, I would have polished them off. I've definitely taken the right step by not having any munchies in the house. So, I drank some water, brushed my teeth, and eventually made it to bed.

I had mentioned in yesterday's blog post that I was thinking about going for my first swim of the season today ... You should have seen me walking out the door this morning. I had a long day ahead of me ... workout in the morning, work, errands, Zumba at night. I had my beach bag for my swim, my morning workout bag, my clothes for work, and another workout bag with my Zumba shoes and another set of workout clothes. I looked like I was going away for a long weekend! Anyway.

When I had looked out the window, it looked foggy outside ... but as soon as I stepped out I was greeted by dust. Yuck. Definitely one of the pitfalls of living in a desert country. This is a snapshot on the drive to the gym -- visibility was less than 100 m, really nasty (though do you like my boxing glove ornament on my rearview mirror?) :)



So, the swim was out of the question.

I went on to complete my NROL4W Workout A3. While my negative chin ups are still crazy difficult (I cannot lower myself down slowly) -- I can, however, hold on longer and even raise my knees higher, and today I even managed to bend my elbows a bit to lift myself up (just a tiny, tiny bit). I was so thrilled!

I was also so happy to have completed 4 sets (of only 2 reps each) of underhand lateral pulls at 55 kgs (that's 12 lbs)! I did my split squats with 40 kgs (88 lbs), and I know I'm ready to go for a higher weight. I am really pleased with my progress!

I left the house a bit earlier than usual this morning because I wanted the extra time in case I could have fit in that swim ... but since I didn't, I finished my weights workout a bit early ... and since DB (my favorite trainer) was doing an RPM class that morning I decided to join in for the first 35 minutes (would have done the whole class if I didn't have to shower, change, and get to work!). He had warned me that it would be tough after the squats I did ... and OMG - it was tough! My legs felt hmmmm what's the word? Something between 'solid' and 'heavy' - in any case, it was good to get in a bit of tough cardio in the morning.

Work went well. Errands were successfully completed -- including the purchase of my new running shoes!! Finally! I ended up buying the new Reebok zigtech shoes. We'll see how they turn out ...

Today seemed to be the day for hot pink shoes because this is what I wore to work today:


... and these are the new trainers that I bought :)



Talk about a pop of color! I do love pink, but I had not intended to buy these shoes in hot pink ... they just didn't have any others in my size. Oh well. I'm not complaining!

Ok, to wrap things up.

I did go back to the gym in the afternoon.
I did 5 km on the cross-trainer ... and then, I saw that the Abs Blast class that's held just before Zumba was still in session. Since I didn't do any abs in the morning (coz' of the RPM class) I decided to join them for the last 15 minutes.

I really wish I hadn't. I mean, I'm 'glad' I did, but from the 1st minute it was pure torture! Bicycle crunches -- my absolute nightmare!! Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, he was doing variations on bicycle crunches!!! WTF? We were laughing in class just because we were too sore to cry lol -- hmmmm should I give the class another try? The 15 minutes I did was SO painful!

I ended the evening with Zumba -- I love Zumba!! :) Although I was quite tired, I did put my all into the class and left drenched in sweat but really happy ... that is until I showered and changed and realized that I had to put my hot pink heels on again ... I do love my heels, but after such a long day and 2 hours of exercise, I just wanted my Havaianas!!

I think I'll sleep well tonight!

14 comments:

  1. I can't believe you can actually walk on those heels! I mean, whoah! I would have fell flat on my face! Those trainers though ... they are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a total sucker for heels! :)
      I thought the trainers would be a bit too pink, but they actually look and feel pretty good! :)

      Delete
  2. I love both pairs of shoes!!!

    Sometimes I have to fight really hard not to give into cravings. When I have urges to overeat something, it reminds me of how much work I still have to do but also gives me a chance to be thankful for how far I have come. Clearly, you have come a long way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      I was definitely made aware of how much work still lies ahead of me ... for now, keeping away from temptation is my best bet!

      Delete
  3. Me too, love those shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shoes! Pink has really been growing me lately :) And wow, you're kicking ass with the workouts, congrads on progress - always motivating when you see improvement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      The workouts left me exhausted but satisfied! The variety helped for sure :) I do hope the scale and my body reflect all the effort!

      Delete
  5. Your workouts DO kickass!! I think you should reward yourself and - when you're NOT hungry - go to the market to pick out something rewarding yet healthy to have on hand the next time you have the munchies at home. I hope I'm not sabotaging your drive here, but I personally think that little indulgences now and then help us stay on track long-term. Plus, with the amount of calories you burn up daily, little extras in your diet here and there seem more like a necessity than an indulgence.

    LOVE the pink shoes!! I need new cross trainers myself, and I'm looking for black with hot pink accents. I like the ones with the boingy-things on the bottom. Not sure what else to call them - they look like little nodules designed to BOING us back up after stepping down on them. If those mega-high heels are BOING-ers, I picture you like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh at work all day. Boing! Boing! Boing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL love the image of Tigger bouncing up and down! The closest I get to an image like that is my pony-tail swishing back and forth ;)

      You're right about little indulgences -- I guess I just save them for times when I really need them, like a friend's birthday so I can enjoy a slice of cake and not feel guilty ... I'd much rather treat myself with a new pair of shoes! ;)

      Delete
  6. Oh those shoes are to die for!! I'm a total sucker for pink.... love the heels and the trainers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love both pairs of shoes!!! The heels are the type I slip on when I eat a salad, glance down at sexy heels, and know it's all worth it. The athletic shoes--they'd perfectly match my workout outfits! Love them!

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I love my heels! I've now got to build my workout outfits around the shoes ;)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)