Week 5 Update:
Week 5 was really busy for me. I had the 3-day conference at the beginning of the week, followed by the arrival of my in-laws. Since they've been here, we've been out every night. I ended up eating out every single day, sometimes twice a day, which is a HUGE change to my normal routine because at most I eat out twice a week. Even though I did manage to go to the gym 6/7 days, my workouts were shorter and not as intense. On top of everything, all the evenings out = late nights = not enough sleep = not as much energy as I would have liked for my workouts.
So overall, I survived the week, but it was a struggle.
1. Weight loss goal: To lose 10 lbs by May 8 (loss since the challenge began 4.84 lbs)
I'm disappointed to report an almost 2 lb gain this week. It is clearly a reflection of all the eating out I've been doing this week. Even though I tried to make good choices, I know I consumed more calories than I normally do. I'm trying not to let it frustrate me too much - two things that I'm keeping in mind are that TOM is around the corner and that this week's weigh in showed a 2.8% loss of fat, so despite the weight gain, the fat has been replaced by muscle. I know that's good, but as I've said before - I just want the number on the scale to match the measurements/progress. I would have normally measured myself today, but I'm going to wait and do that next week. Oh well. Nothing to do but keep moving forward.
2. Non-scale goal: Make it through the week!
I did indeed make it through the week. I did manage to get an errand or two done as well, but most of my days were taken up by the either the conference or my in-laws. Now I desperately need to finish preparing for my viva.
3. Exercise goal: I am happy to say that I did meet all my goals in terms of exercise this week.
- Weight training: Finish NROL4W Stage 6 - DONE!
- Cardio: 5 hours (including 1 10 km session) - DONE!
- Abs etc. exercises: 2,000 reps - Ummmm, no. Only managed 1,000 reps this week
- Crossfit: Complete first session - Yes, DONE! :)
4. Nutrition goal: Be vigilant of what I eat/drink
I tried ... but I need to try harder. I ate a LOT of carbs this week. I was terrific on the water (still hitting 4 L a day). I did manage to eat some fresh fruit 5/7 days ... I'm still trying to go for 7/7!
Goals for Week 6:
Although I hit all my exercise goals for the week, it's obvious that unless it's accompanied by careful monitoring of what I eat, doesn't matter. This week is filled with dinners/lunches with my in-laws, so I know the food aspect of my week will be a struggle. Hopefully I can get some more time in at the gym ... we'll see.
1. Weight loss - Try to lose the 10 lbs by May 8th
2. Non-scale goal - Finish reading through the remainder of my thesis (4.5 chapters left -- I gotta do it, my viva is in 12 days!) Try to get more sleep.
3. Exercise - Start NROL4W Stage 7; Get in at least 6 hours of cardio (including 1 10 km stretch); Do 1,500 reps of abs/thighs/butt exercises (of some variation) over the week.
4. Nutrition goal - Streamline my foods to be more wholesome/raw/fresh; increase protein intake; cut down dairy intake.
That's it for this week -- on top of all that there are papers to grade and lessons to plan ...
We've been asked to share a motivational photo/quote this week. I used to have a Motivational Monday post, but I got side-tracked with all my other posts. Maybe I should restart that ... in the meantime, you can check some of the previous posts. This is my motivation for this week :)