Saturday, September 22, 2012

Understanding Pain and Limitations

Last night I felt an excruciating pain around my left shoulder blade. It traveled up to my neck and even down to the top of my breast-bone. I couldn't move my neck at all. It was so bloody painful.

I got about an hour of sleep because I just couldn't find a position that I could like down in without pain. I was pretty much in tears.

Despite the terrible pain I didn't think that it was a serious injury. I just felt like I had either pulled a muscle or sprained a muscle.

The only thing I could think of was the soreness I felt on Wednesday (from having my head in an awkward position for a few hours - long story) that was perhaps exacerbated by the fact that I didn't help it heal along with the 50kg bench press yesterday.

Of course my first thought was - Will I be able to workout at CrossFit today? I would be gutted to miss a session, especially when I feel like I've been making progress.

I started taking an anti-inflammatory medicine and using the massage ball to loosen up the knots. Whenever I did that, I felt better for about an hour before the pain would come back.

Luckily by early afternoon I was feeling a bit better and I managed to take a nice, deep 1-hour nap after which my muscles felt much more relaxed.

I did end up going to CrossFit. Our Coach modified some of the exercises so as not to aggravate the pain, though it was definitely much better than before. I used the foam roller for the first time - loved it! I felt like it really worked my muscles/tissues. It definitely helped.

Today's workout:
Strength focus - military presses - struggled at 30kg without using my knees & tire flips - love them!
We also did deadlifts - 3/minute. I lifted 90kg (198lb) and managed to complete 26 in 10 minutes. Doesn't sound like much, but let me tell you - it's heavy! I was dripping with sweat after I was done.

Our WOD: 3 rounds @ 21x15x9 reps
- Overhead squats
- Hand release push-ups --- but I did crunches so as to take pressure off my shoulder blades
- Burpees (without push-ups for me)

Felt good!

Today is Day 8 of the Whole Life Challenge and marks the start of Week 2 of the 8 Week challenge and I'm absolutely loving it. I've earned full points each day and also got all the bonus points for the week.

I've started to wonder a bit about how things will be once the challenge is over, but I'm trying not to get ahead of myself. I just want to take it one week at a time and survive the 8-weeks. Then I can figure out what habits I want to keep/change/omit. For now, I'm hoping for another perfect week!


4 comments:

  1. Way to adapt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norma! Working my way around the injury felt so much better than sitting at home and doing nothing!

      Delete
  2. I've been reading blogs of people who've been injured or have had surgery and they are just itching to get back to their routine. I've had thoughts about what would I do if I could not exercise.

    Hopefully, you won't have a repeat of the pain and you can continue to do your exercises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken some time for me to understand when it's a bad injury and when it's just a niggle that can be worked through. I just try to use common sense - if it hurts when I do something, then I should stop doing it. Nothing is worth an injury, at the same time, I'm trying not to let the fear of a possible injury hold me back from my potential.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)