Monday, November 14, 2011

Too much too soon

I woke up this morning feeling good. Well, as good as I could feel at 5:00 in the morning ... I was sleepy, but I didn't feel much pain at all.

I got up and decided to start my day because I knew there was no way I'd be getting back to sleep. I thought I'd tackle the HUGE stacks of paper in my office - all related to my PhD research. I needed to streamline my material and get rid of papers that were up to 4 years old and no longer necessary.

After a few hours of sitting at my desk I decided to move to the living room and continue my work there -- a few trips back and forth from the living room to my home office (to get more papers, a stapler, more post-its etc.) ... I seemed to be extra-clumsy and kept dropping things, which meant that I had to keep bending to pick them up ... I realized I was definitely feeling less pain as my movements were not as slow as the previous day ...

I cleaned a little, cooked a little, organized a little ... and by 3:00 p.m. I was EXHAUSTED. Exhausted to the point of dizziness and nausea. I wasn't in pain, but I was definitely in extreme discomfort.

It got worse over the hours ...

A group of friends were scheduled to come and visit me later in the evening. In hindsight, I probably should have cancelled, but I hadn't seen them in almost a month so I stuck to the plan. By the time they left, just before 11 p.m., I was in so much pain and discomfort I could barely breathe.

I would have never thought that just moving back and forth between two rooms and picking up a few things would have this effect ... but it did.

I guess the doctor was right - I still need to take it easy.

2 comments:

  1. It comes out of nowhere, right?? That happened to me, too. Still does sometimes, though much less frequently now. Hope you weren't too uncomfortable to enjoy spending time with your friends. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Take care of yourself; it definitely sounds like you over did it! Get some rest and feel better. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)