Friday, November 11, 2011

Trip to the Avenues

I really needed to get out of the house, so D took me to the mall (I'm still not allowed to drive). The one thing I was dreading (and something I remembered from my previous surgery) was the road leading up to the mall which is not made with proper pavement, but rather paved with bricks ... which makes it very, very bumpy. It was unbelievably painful - and just those two minutes on bumpy road had me feeling dizzy and winded before even stepping into the mall.

I'm glad we went to the mall early because it was so quiet - it gave me plenty of time to leisurely stroll from one end of the mall to the other and back ... though I have to say, I was exhausted. I walked for just over an hour -- sounds like a lot, but I was walking very, very slowly - and also browsing in a few shops along the way.

The Avenues is not an easy mall to walk in. First of all it was cold - very cold; they seem to still have the AC on high even though it is definitely becoming cooler outside. Second of all, the floors are not easy to walk on, especially when you want to take your time and need a lot of energy just to stand straight and walk slow.


By the time we got back to the starting point I was exhausted. Still, it did me some good to get out of the house and actually walk. Although I do feel quite a bit better today in terms of pain, I am once again reminded of how much time the body does take to heal ... I was hoping to maybe make it to the gym in the next few days ... but if the exhaustion I'm feeling now after that little stroll is anything to go by, I think that's a bit of an optimistic estimate!

2 comments:

  1. Don't push yourself too hard! You are recovering from major surgery, and it takes time. I know I was frustrated with my process when it was my turn last year (I went in to work to pick up some financial documents I needed, and scared my staff half to death... apparently I looked like I was going to drop!).

    One day at a time, slowly. You'll get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet it was heaven being out of your house! I know you want to speed things up but the body heals at its own pace. I've completed four full weeks now and I'm still struggling with my energy. I understand how hard it is to be patient :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)