Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Trial and Error

The Whole Life Challenge ended on Nov. 10th. Since then, I've been experimenting with a few ingredients to see how my body/I react. For example, I added a bit of feta cheese to a salad, I had coffee with milk, I had something with sugar, etc. etc.

I haven't been eating large quantities, and I've been trying only 1 or 2 'off-plan' things a day.

I've found that I feel the worst when I eat something with sugar. Whether it's a bit of sugar in some salad dressing or a piece of chocolate, I feel the impact immediately.

I've also found that dairy makes me feel heavy and bloated.

I haven't had any adverse effects from rice but bread, like dairy, makes me feel bloated.

Since I went off plan I gained 2 lbs. I pretty much gained that within the first week of trying these different foods. Right after that I traveled and I held steady at that 2 lb. gain.

As soon as I got back from my trip, I basically went back into Whole Life Challenge mode and I've already lost 1 lb. and I'm hoping the 2nd lb. will be gone by the end of this weekend.

I didn't panic over the weight gain because I knew that I was in 'experimenting' mode. Now I've switched that mode off and I'm back to eating normal.

I'm not looking to add things like flour and sugar back in my diet. I'm not looking to find an 'easy way out' or an 'excuse' to eat certain foods. I do, however, want to get a better idea of how my body reacts to foods. Cutting out everything all at once resulted in quite a dramatic change ... I guess I just wanted to see what works for me and what doesn't, especially because when I look at Clean Eating - which includes some dairy and grains - it seems quite lenient to me. However, I now know that even having a few grains or certain types of dairy will cause me to feel heavy. I know that I don't want that - so I'll just stay away.

I think the main thing is that I'm not going to panic. I know what I need to do. I know I have the discipline. I just need to put it all together and make it happen. If I could stick to a rigorous plan for 8 weeks, I can surely continue.

So, my trial and error period is over. I wish I hadn't gained the 2 lbs. but I'm happy with what I've learned, and I hope that as I follow my normal path I continue to see the progress that I experienced during the challenge.


4 comments:

  1. I wouldn't fret over a 2 lb gain. I give myself a +/- 2 lb window before I get serious about what is going on with the scale.

    Experimentation is a good thing. You should know what does and doesn't bother you. I am fine with dairy and sugar. I can add the grains for a few meals and gain 10 lbs in three days. I feel bloated, heavy and lethargic. Grains will send my glucose soaring faster than sugar.

    I'm done experimenting and having free days, too. Again, I learned that it's just not worth it after a certain point. I'm not looking back but moving forward.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your experimenting is smart too. I've figured out some eating patterns in which I am hardly ever hungry and I don't have cravings, and I'm eating less. But, while experimenting, I did have days where I learned the hard way. I'm just no good around certain food, and protein breakfasts are for me.

    I'm not sure if my eating pattern would even work for someone else, so it really is important that you get some system that works for you, plus makes you happy.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that part of the 'fun' of doing something like the WLC or the Whole30 is learning how your body reacts to foods once you have removed them completely from your diet. Dairy also makes me feel like shit and I know oatmeal will have me doubled over in stomach pain. Sugar makes me break out. In knowing of these adverse affects, it is easier to keep these foods out of my diet. Sure, I can eat them, but is it worth it? Hardy.

    Your 2#s (and then some) will be off in no time. Food experimentation is fun & useful when done smart. Keep on rockin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)