Saturday, September 28, 2013

Do You See What I See?

The past few days have been interesting because I've been going out to eat more than usual since D's parents are visiting. So far we've been choosing restaurants where I know I can order something that will enable me to stay true to the Whole Life Challenge.

While others are eating curried potatoes, fresh hot bread, and different creamy sauces, I've been sticking to my grilled proteins and steamed or grilled vegetables.

For me, it's been fine.

However, as usual, the reactions from others have been a bit different. Luckily I haven't had any 'you're crazy' comments. Rather it's been along the lines of 'Poor you.'

Luckily, I don't feel sorry for myself at all.

Last night when a long plate of dessert samplers came out (complimentary because they had a problem with some of our orders) it was quite interesting.

Everyone dug in to taste the different desserts - chocolate fondant, apple crumble, creme brûlée, and a few others ...

I was actually a little surprised that I didn't even feel a touch of desire for desserts. That's saying a lot since I really do have a sweet tooth. However, the desserts just didn't appeal to me. It's like I was viewing my food and my eating options through a completely different lens. It felt quite good.

Interestingly enough, this morning was a slightly different story. D asked if I would bake him my carrot cake for his birthday. I was really touched because of all the possible birthday desserts he could have chosen, he wanted one of mine. I was also a bit nervous because it's been at least 2 years since I've baked a cake (though I did make some cupcakes a few times).

As I was frosting the cake, I have to say that I was really tempted to have a taste. It just looked so fresh and moist ... I didn't lament over it, but I did take a moment and think - damn that looks good. I'd love a taste.

Since I knew that everyone would be eating cake today I didn't want to really stick out as the only one not having anything, so I decided to make myself my own version of a carrot cake - one that would be Whole Life Challenge friendly.

Instead of flour I used ground flaxseed and ground almonds. I added shredded carrots, shredded coconut, and eggs. I'll post the proper recipe later.

I have to say, I was really impressed with how it came out. The recipe needs a bit of tweaking, but it was moist and quite flavorful.

Socially, it was nice to sit down and have something similar to what everyone else was eating. I got over my desire to taste my original carrot cake and took satisfaction in hearing all the oohs and aaahs from everyone else. I'm glad I haven't lost my baking touch.

I don't plan on making baked goods (whole life challenge friendly or not) often, but it's nice to know that I have a tasty option out there.



what's left of my 'real' carrot cake and my mini WLC-friendly carrot cupcakes

2 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to the recipe for the carrot cupcakes. My daughter recently gave up all gluten and carrot cake is her favorite treat. We have almond flour which we could try, but I'd rather go with a recipe that has been tried already. You are doing such a good job staying on your challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Plum, I passed on dessert at someone else's home this evening. They know I've been eating Paleo for most of the year now. The lady that offered exclaimed...aren't you ever going to enjoy fun foods anymore?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)