Saturday, September 7, 2013

Here We Go

Today is Day 1 of the Whole Life Challenge. I'll write a few things about the challenge in this blog, but  my daily reflections will be in a separate blog I keep. If you're interested in following how I'm doing in the challenge, you can check out this site.

This morning I went back to my yoga on the beach sessions. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it. I had a late night on Friday and we meet at 8 a.m. on Saturdays. Anyway. I did make it, and it felt so good to be out there in the sun (though it was a bit hot at times) and get some deep stretching on. I think it provides a great counterbalance to all the MMA and weight training.

I tried two new poses today. One was a partnered boat pose. I think it was alright. I do need to make sure my back is straighter though.



The second one was a bit of a disaster. You go into a lunge and then hold one leg up with your hand. The leg and hand should almost be in line (under and over) with your head ... I couldn't manage that (yet). I almost didn't try it because it looked so difficult. Then I thought - why wouldn't I give it a go? What's the worst thing that can happen? I fall in the sand? I was also afraid that I wouldn't even be able to get my leg up -- but I did get my leg up and I didn't fall. My posture is all crooked and weird, but I tried. I'm going to use this first attempt as a marker to see how far I can progress with this pose.



In the afternoon I had a 1-hour BJJ session. It was fun. I'm really enjoying the fight simulation parts of my training because I get to see how the moves and techniques all come together.


me practicing my clinch followed by a leg-hook takedown -- I know, it looks like a big bear hug lol

My final workout of the day was the baseline workout that all participants of the Whole Life Challenge are required to do. Well, they don't have to do this exact workout, but we're all supposed to do something and then do the same workout in 8 weeks to check our progress. I did the official workout. I think it went alright. I still suck at running, but I gave it a go.

The workout was:
2 minutes - as many 25 yard shuttle sprints you can do (I did 12)
1 minute rest
2 minutes - as many rounds of 5 push-ups & 10 squats you can do (I did 25 push-ups & 50 squats)
1 minute rest
2 minutes - as many crunches you can do (I did 63)
1 minute rest
2 minutes - as many 25 yard shuttle sprints you can do (I did 13 -- which is surprising coz' I was so tired!)

I can't wait to see how I progress in 8 weeks!


Whole Life Challenge Day 1 Summary here.

1 comment:

  1. love your first pose, I want to try that..should find a partner first, is it difficult? looking forward to your 8 weeks update as usual :) good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)