Monday, May 28, 2012

Falling into Place

I wasn't sure how today would turn out, especially since I had a rough night with cramps that kept waking me up every hour. Still, I'm thankful that they're not as bad as they've been in the previous two months. It's still incredibly uncomfortable and quite painful, but I'm not doubled over in pain. I'm definitely counting my blessings for that!

However, aside from that, the rest of today was pretty good. I wrapped up my final grades for the semester. It's always such a good feeling to turn in the student folders. The semester doesn't end until Thursday, but at least the main work is done.

I got several errands crossed off my to-do list today. It was all a matter of sitting down and getting them done. Most exciting of all is that I finally got my driver's license!!! Let me clarify. I got my license years ago, but it expired in April 2011. I had never even thought to check when my license would expire, but when I did happen to take a look at it in November 2011, I was mortified to find that it had expired in April. Still, I was in the middle of PhD hell at that time and I thought, screw it, I'll take a risk. I know, I know. Terrible. Still, I did it ... and today, I finally got my new license (and it expires in 2022, so if I'm still blogging in ten years, do remind me lol). Anyway. This was on my list of things to do at the beginning of this summer challenge. I very, very, very happy that I'm finally driving legally ... now I just need to take care of my car's registration papers. I think it'll have to wait until after Mexico. One step at a time!

Despite the cramps and extreme bloating (I can go up almost 2 dress sizes when I've got my period, that's how bad the bloating is!), I went to CrossFit. One of the main motivations was that our Coach has started a group on Whatsapp (free text-messaging service) so all the CrossFitters are constantly in touch. It's hard to back out of exercise when you've got that kind of reminder right in your face - Class is on at 4. Don't give up. Try your best.

So I thought, what the hell. Let me go. If there's anything that makes me feel too horrible, I can always stop.

Luckily, I didn't have to stop. Everything was fine. Our WOD was not bad - though the total of 45 burpees definitely felt like torture. We did 15 bench presses, 10 burpees, 15 pull ups, 15 burpees, 10 push presses, and 20 burpees. I got through it, but of course I still have a lot of room for improvement.

Although I did feel uncomfortable (in terms of my cramps) after the workout, mentally I felt good. I'm so glad I pushed through and I went. I showed up. That was my important accomplishment of the day.

Other big news -- D's graduation present to me has finally arrived --- Tickets to see Madonna in Abu Dhabi!!! :) I have been wanting to see Madonna ever since I first heard of her in the 80's. It has been my dream, and finally it's going to come true :) Everything is in place, tickets, hotel, visa, and now the concert ticket. We've been waiting anxiously for them to arrive. I had tears in my eyes when he put them in my hands this evening. Excited doesn't even begin to cover it :D

I wrapped up the evening with a night out with some girl friends. The weather was perfect. We went to a little cafe on the seafront. It was so tranquil. It was just what I needed.

That dizziness is starting to disappear. I can't wait for it to be completely gone. 

5 comments:

  1. Good job working out! And renewing your licance, you where brave to drive without it for so long :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was foolish for me to wait so long to renew my license. I only waited this long because I knew I could get away with it -- but I will never procrastinate that badly again!

      Delete
  2. Good job working out! And renewing your licance, you where brave to drive without it for so long :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:56 PM

    Awesome! I am so glad that things are falling into place! And OMG, Madonna! I love her! Pleas take tons of pics and post when you go see her! :)

    Maria
    http://www.fitnessgirlkitchen.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been my dream to see her in concert so I'm very excited :) I hope I get a chance to take good pix. Will definitely share if I do so :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)