Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Break In Phase Complete

Today I completed the Break In Phase of New Rules of Lifting.

Since I stopped doing CrossFit, mainly because of scheduling issues, I knew I needed to get into some sort of weight lifting routine. I had terrific success with the New Rules of Lifting for Women program. My confidence and strength both grew as I stuck it out for all 8 phases of the program (it took months - you can read about my progress here).

I had initially planned on restarting NROL4W, but then decided to just try the regular New Rules of Lifting. It doesn't specifically say that the program is for men (though it does have a picture of a man on the cover). In any case, I thought I'd give it a go, especially since D said he's also do the program.


I started the Break In Phase on January 13th and ended today, February 12th.

This phase involved alternating between two workouts - Workout A & Workout B - for a total of 12 sessions (so 6 sessions per workout).

This is how I did:


2 sets x 15 reps
Break in phase


Starting Weight
Ending Weight
Workout A
January 13, 2013
February 12, 2013
Squats
30 kg (66 lbs)
65 kg (143 lbs)
Static lunge w/bar
20 kg (44 lbs)
55 kg (121 lbs)
Two point dumbbell row; elbow out
7 ½ kg (16.5 lbs)
20 kg (44 lbs)
Push-up (20)
bw
bw
Swiss ball crunch (20)
bw
bw

2 sets x 15 reps


Starting Weight
Ending Weight
Workout B
January 13, 2013
February 12, 2013
Deadlifts
40 kg (88 lbs)
65 kg (143 lbs)
Step up
6 kg (13.2 lbs)/hand; 16 inch step
8 kg (17.6 lbs)/hand; 20 inch step
Dumbbell one arm shoulder press
7 ½ kg (16.5 lbs)
12 ½ kg (27.5 lbs)
Close grip lat pull
20 kg (44 lbs)
41 kg (90.2 lbs)
Reverse crunch (20)
bw
bw



I'm quite pleased with my progress over the past month. I know that I can lift heavier, but doing each set for 15 reps added an extra challenge. I was particularly happy with my final weights for the dumbbell rows (I actually did manage to go up to 22.5 kg (49.5 lbs), but it wasn't part of this workout) as well as my one arm shoulder press.

I've found that my left arm is a bit weaker than my right arm -- though ironically I feel like I use my left hand/arm more -- I carry my bag on that side and usually carry all the groceries with just my left hand. Strange that it is weaker. The last 2-3 reps of certain exercises, like the shoulder press, were definitely tough, but I pushed through them.

One of the things that I love most about this program is the way they have it set up. Since I successfully completed NROL4W, I knew that if I gave it time and followed the plan, I would be successful at the Break In Phase. When I started I didn't set any particular goals in terms of what weight I wanted to end up lifting, but I knew I wanted to see progress ... and I definitely made progress!

In addition to getting stronger, I have also seen a change in my body shape. My back and shoulders are much leaner and muscular (not bulky). It feels great.

I'll be continuing with NROL though I may take 3-4 days to do some other lifting (focus on heavier weight and few reps; I'd also like to try and hit at least 1 or 2 PRs). I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

  1. Lifting is LIFE, baby! Way to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Norma! I love lifting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dr. PlumPetals! I always love your attitude. But, really, that is a great improvement! I'm pretty sure that I did not improve that fast.

    Now, I've always wanted to ask somebody this, but why use the New Rules of Weightlifting for Women book? I learned weightlifting from some weightlifting guys and from a Joe Weider book that all of the guys use. Joe Weider worked with Arnold S., Lou Ferrigno, and many other body building greats, so why not learn what they learned?! I'm always so curious about this!!!

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marion!
      Looking at the two books, I think the exercises are basically the same. I guess seeing the book being particularly catered to women is what made me approach it. Before I started I didn't really go into the free weights area. This book gave me the confidence to do so, even though as I said, the exercises were basically the same. Perhaps it's just psychological - thinking that because it's for women I can do it. However I now know that it doesn't matter. I'm strong and I can lift.

      I do think it's a good strategy to make something appealing to women who may otherwise be intimidated or afraid to approach the weight room. It worked for me! :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)