Friday, February 22, 2013

Different Points of View

Most of my friends do not go to the gym or workout. This makes the whole weight loss thing a lot more difficult.

I know that in the end it is about me and the choices I make. Nobody is forcing me to eat unhealthily, nobody is forcing me to have a big bowl of french fries. It is all up to me. What I am saying is that obviously resisting food has been difficult in the past - if it wasn't, I wouldn't be overweight. So being in situations where people are not struggling (and are eating whatever they want) can be challenging.

Another thing that's frustrating is when people comment about how much I go to the gym, but I haven't lost the weight yet. I see some people look at me skeptically thinking - seriously, you workout 5-6 times a week and you're still overweight? How is that possible?

I've said before that I'm embarrassed to tell people how much I workout because I don't feel like the pounds I've lost reflects the number of hours I've spent working out ... but this is my reality. I do work hard and I try my best when it comes to controlling what I eat and how much I eat.

The thing is, if you've never tried to lose a significant amount of weight (particularly trying to shed that last 30 lbs or so), it isn't easy to understand that it does go beyond just dropping a 200 calories in your daily diet and increasing your daily calorie burn by 300. The math is there. The formulas are there. However, our bodies are different and they react differently. There are all sorts of factors - genetics, metabolism, water intake, stress, sleep etc. etc. I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying, it does go beyond the numbers.

When I get together with my friends, the subject of food/exercise often comes up. I've heard a lot of 'why don't you just ...' advice. For example, 'Why don't you just go on a liquid diet' or 'eat only salads' or 'get liposuction' - yes, somebody actually suggested that.

I really don't understand comments like those. I don't think there are any long-term quick fixes. Does that make sense? I mean, I know there are lots of fad diets that can help you drop quite a bit of weight in a short amount of time, but are they sustainable? I really do want to adopt a lifestyle change where I don't fear food, I can enjoy what I eat, and I am sensible.

The most frustrating thing about trying to lose weight is that the results aren't immediately noticeable. That means that you have to be really, really patient both with yourself and with comments that may come from others.

This is something that has definitely been on my mind since I took my 'Before' pictures for the Whole Life Challenge on Sunday (Feb. 16). I've dropped about 30 kg (65 lbs) since my heaviest and I still have a long way to go.

I'm so glad I'm not in the frame of mind anymore where I would fill myself with self-loathing, furstration, irritation ... basically play the victim. That type of mentality doesn't help at all.

I'm frustrated, but I'm not giving up. Instead of letting the frustration weigh me down I'm using it to fuel my fire. I want to succeed. I will work to succeed, and more importantly, I will not do things that will prevent me from succeeding.

It's taken a while to get used to the different points of view and the different types of advice/suggestions people throw your way ... but now I know that I am strong. I just listen, smile, and do what I have to do.

Be patient. Be persistent. Stick to your plan!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Dr. PlumPetals! Firstly, I think your figure is very cute. Your body might not want to be a skinny rail. Since I've been doing the fun advanced exercises in the gym, as you also do, I've come to appreciate that my type of body is capable--super capable. That is your body too. And for me, feeling super capable is far better than being the thinnest woman in the gym.

    Also, this is a long-term plan that we are happier than ever about. People always think this is about weight/fitness, but I think it is mostly about an overall major lifestyle change. It is an entirely different way of viewing life. And I couldn't even fathom how much(!!!) happier I could be now, when I was on a couch with my bag of fun-sized candy bars.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persistence is the key. I too am struggling to lose the last 20-30 pounds and it has been a LONG time coming. When I feell like giving up, I have to remind myself how unhappy I was extremely overweight. I even stop to think about how this path has lead to a healthier, happier person. Just keep following your path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to try fad diets saying I was "jump starting" my weight loss. Usually, the fad diet would make me feel bad and I would go back to my comfort foods to feel better. It is so much better for me to have a way of eating that is not only delicious, but keeps me at the weight I want to be and is healthy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I know there are lots of fad diets that can help you drop quite a bit of weight in a short amount of time, but are they sustainable?"

    I used one of these fad diets to drop weight when doing it healthy wasn't getting me any place because of hypothyroidism. It was actually my family doctor who introduced me to the HCG Protocol. What I discovered is that fad diets aren't meant to be maintained, but to get you where you need to be. You need to learn to eat healthy and discover the reasons for your weight issues. If you go back to old habits after the weight loss it's a natural you'll gain it back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Plum, I feel for you.

    I sympathize too - I work out hours a week, I've cut out most of my junk, I track my calories, and what happens? In the past year, I've had ~7 pounds come back that I just cannot shake.

    I have one question for you - I know you watch what you eat carefully - I know you wrote about really low calories diets at certain points in you past, too. Are you eating enough calories? It's such a loaded question when you're trying to lose weight, I know it is!

    I do recognize that once our bodies have been significantly overweight, they respond differently to calories in and exercise. I know that even at goal weight, I still felt like I should have lost another 10 pounds... that my body feels bloated and bulgy sometimes (a lot).

    All I'm saying is, I feel your frustration - some of us do get how hard it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sign me up for Lipo:) Just kidding...sort of:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a lot like what we talked about on the blog on Wednesday. Sometimes people just don't get it and they judge without knowing all the facts. That's why it is so vital to do this for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right there with you. But I'm still at the very beginning of my WL journey (again). I lose very slowly. I work hard and have more determination than most but the pounds come off so slow. It's just the way my body works. I've come to accept that and try to focus on the fact that I'm much more fit than I was 5-6 months ago. I can do a heck of a lot more and I bet if you did a fitness test with these silly naysayers, you would beat the pants of off them.

    You are fit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said. Keep going, you inspire me x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can totally relate to this post!! Only you know what is best for you and how to reach your goals...liposuction...realy?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. people will always have opinions, if you workout 5-6 times a week they will say you workout too much..if you workout less they will say you need to put more effort :)
    Your attitude is great (touchwood) don't let anyone make you feel bad...you workhard and somewhere this effort is surely helping you become healthier and stronger(Most people only think about weightloss they forget the fit/healthy part..)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)