Thursday, October 6, 2011

NROL4W - Starting Phase 2


"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Steve Jobs (1955-2011) RIP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought I would ease myself back into the exercise routine and just do some light cardio this week before starting Phase 2 of NROL4W … and then this morning I thought, why wait?

So today I started the second phase.

Warm-up 15 minutes on the cross-trainer – my breathing was definitely a bit more labored that during yesterday’s cardio. [125 cal & 1 km]

Then on to the weights. The exercises in Phase 2 are different from Phase 1. First of all, for each of the exercises it’s only 2 sets with 10 reps. Second of all, a second set of exercises has been added to the routine.

Here’s what I did:

Phase 2: Workout A

Set 1

Set 2

Front squat with push press

KG 15

KG 15

Step up (4 steps)

KG 8

KG 8

Dumbbell 1-point row

KG 5

KG 7

Split lunge; rear foot elevated

KG 5

KG 10

Push ups (10)

bw

bw

Plank (60 sec)

bw

bw

Cable horizontal wood chops

KG 13

KG 13

It was a bit tricky trying to figure out how much weight to use for the squats. Previously I was squatting KG 55 – but that was without the added shoulder press at the end. KG 15 felt right for today – maybe I can take it up a notch for the next workout.

The step ups were fine – I think it’s also time to take it up 1 step … and then maybe increase the weights too.


The dumbbell 1-point row was also fine. Body balance class has helped me with my stability and balance, so it wasn’t too difficult. I think the most important thing to remember with this exercise is to take your time and concentrate.

The split lunge was a bit awkward. The exercise is itself isn’t complicated, but positioning my foot and maintaining balance. I think I need to put more weight on the barbell next time so that it steadies me a bit. I’m also wondering if I should have the step a bit higher? I don’t know. I’ll have to read up a bit more about this exercise. All I know is that it’s almost 7 hours later and I’m already feeling the burn from those lunges!

Push ups – great. I think taking the time off for my arms to rest really helped. Doing the 10 without resting wasn’t a problem.

Plank – ugh. Plank!! Who would have thought holding still in a practically lying down position could cause so much sweat and be such a struggle? I could only hold it for 45 seconds and then I gave in. I’m so irritated with myself. Surely if I could hold the position for 45 seconds I could have held it for 15 more! Next time.

Finally, the cable horizontal wood chops – this was the first time I attempted this exercise. I got one of the trainers to show me how to set up the cable and demonstrate the exercise … not difficult. KG 13 for 2 sets and 10 reps wasn’t a problem – I definitely think I should try a heavier weight. The only thing that I found awkward with this exercise was holding the cable. I felt like I couldn’t get a proper grip on it and that my hand position was a bit awkward. Oh well – just gotta keep practicing.

I ended with a 15-minute cool down on the treadmill – just under 1.5 km; don’t remember the calories burned.

Overall, it was a good workout. I’m glad I didn’t wait much longer to restart lifting weights – I’ve missed it! The new routine will take some getting used to, but I'm up for the challenge. Total time at the gym 1.5 hours - though the actual workout time was more like 1 hour - it takes time setting up weights etc.

After the gym I spent two lovely hours being pampered at the salon – I needed it. Now, I feel fresh and ready for a much needed night out … all the trainers from the gym will be there, so I know it’ll be a night of fun and healthy eats all around. J


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)