Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Staying hydrated, keeping calm

Today's been a weird day.

Another not so hot night of 'sleep' - it must be the side-effects of the antibiotics that are making me feel this way. I mean, I'm usually a bit of an insomniac, but there's this added lethargy which is unusual. Gulped down 600 mL (20 ounces) of water to help refresh me ...

A coughing fit this morning that had me gasping for air - what is up with that? That immediately brought my mood down - today's my day to get back to the gym. I'm not supposed to cough! I was not pleased. Steadily made my way through another 600 mL of water on the way to work ... stuck in traffic for an extra 20 minutes this morning since I left the house 7 minutes later than usual - damn school traffic!

I got to the university, started doing some work, and then all of a sudden an enormous wave of nausea and dizziness. It was bad. Really bad -- all I could think was, oh my god, I'm either going to throw up or faint. Here, in my office, I don't know if I can stop it. It was purely the mortifying thought of vomiting in my office (in the bin of course) that stopped me. I had to calm myself down - just breathe through it (not easy when deep breaths seem to trigger a cough attack) ... relax ... I wanted to drink some water, but the thought of opening my mouth and swallowing anything at that point was out of the question. So I just tried to tell myself to hold on and not give in to the feelings - I really don't know what it was, it was very disconcerting. I don't think I can properly explain -- it was just this overwhelming feeling of sickness ... and just before going to class. Perhaps I'm having an allergic reaction to teaching this course! Anyway.

I survived. After another 600 mL of water I felt better, not much but the dizziness had stopped and the nausea had subsided a bit. In any case, nothing was going to stop me from getting to the gym, so I headed there right after class.

As I got on the treadmill I started feeling a bit anxious. What if I start to feel ill? What if I have a coughing attack? What if I'm just not well enough to be here? I'd just have to cross those bridges if it came to that --- first I needed to decide what my goal for the day would be. Should I set a calorie target? A distance target? A time target?

I figured I'd go with time. At first I was just going to do 40 minutes, and then I thought - no, let's go straight into an hour. I don't have to rush. Not setting a target on calories or distance took some pressure off. This way I was just focusing on walking for an hour. The goal - just complete the one-hour walk.

So, I hit random on my iPod (something I normally don't do, my workouts are usually very playlist specific) and I started. I didn't walk fast, I kept a relatively steady pace. When I felt like it I increased my pace, and then if I felt like I was going to start coughing I slowed it down a bit. I found out that I felt better going slightly slower and walking at an incline versus walking fast with no incline. I ended up alternating (15 minutes regular walking, 15 minutes on a 2% incline, 10 minutes regular walking, 15 minutes on a 2% incline, 5 minutes with no incline and cooling down)

In the end I finished my hour. I felt fine. A few bronchial spasms in the middle but nothing major. Another 600 mL bottle of water done.

Time: 1 hour
Average speed: 5.7 km/hr (3.5 mi/hr) - not fast, but it was fine for today
Distance: 5.55 km (3.44 miles)
Calories burned: 333

So, nothing major, but at least I've restarted. I hope that getting back into a more normal routine instead of just spending hours and hours at my desk writing will help me feel better. We'll see. I'm just relieved that I made it to the gym.

It's just after 2 p.m. -- lots of work left to do and lots of water left to drink.


4 comments:

  1. You are such a stinkin' TROOPER. You amaze me, seriously. I hope that you start feeling better soon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that such a horrifying feeling when you think you're going to get sick? Oh my word. That happened to me last week actually.

    I'm sorry this illness has been lasting so long. When I get sick it lasts forever so I know what a drag it is. Hang in there.

    You're such a good girl for meeting your exercise goal! I've been working so much overtime this past week that I've only exercised once.

    I hope you're back on your feet soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounded scary! I had something similar happen to me once when I was walking alone in an empty park. My heart started beating really fast, i felt faint and my body temperature rose so much I was sweating buckets. All of a sudden, it stopped and I was fine again. For the rest of the day I was worried about doing anything just in case it happened again.

    Well done on your walking. An hour's walk is great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Am trying to keep it together and keep moving forward!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)