Saturday, October 15, 2011

Rested and Restored

I had a really good night's sleep last night -- I haven't slept that well in over a month, and as soon as I woke up, I could feel the difference. I had a lot scheduled for today (papers to grade, research paper to write, thesis to edit - still!), but the first thing I wanted to do was head to the gym and make the most of my energy.

Although I knew I wanted to go to the gym, I was indecisive about what workout I wanted to do. I was thinking about doing some warm-up cardio and then weights ... and possibly RPM class ... but that class started at 12. What would I do in the meantime (as I was planning on being at the gym around 9:30)? In any case, I got there and spoke to MC who was doing a Power House session at 10 ... so I thought - why not? It's been about a year since I did Power House; perhaps the change in routine will do me some good.

Power House is a circuit training class, and it is TOUGH. There are 16 stations. You spend a minute at each station completing as many reps of the exercise at that station as possible before moving to the next. For example, today the first few were: chest presses, weighted squats, running on trampoline, bicep curls, tricep dips, abs etc. The pattern is basically 2 weights, 1 cardio, 2 weights, abs, and repeat. It's quite challenging - especially because you have to transition from one station to the next immediately and get started. The goal is to do as many reps as possible, but you also have to pay attention to your form. [I'm very proud that I bench pressed 20 kg (45 lbs); I can't remember how many reps I did coz' I lost count, but I did well!] Anyway. It was a really good class. I was totally drenched, but didn't have any time to change my t-shirt before the 11 a.m. Pilates class.
That class was soooo good! I know there are a lot of people, especially guys, who think that Pilates isn't challenging. However, I assure you, if you're doing it correctly, it is very challenging! You try doing about 10 minutes of plank pose variations and let me know if you're sweating or not! TJ was teaching the class, and she is excellent. Though you look at her tiny little body doing these poses in perfect posture and you think - damn, she makes it look so easy!

Finally, RPM. I haven't done 3 classes in a row for a LONG time ... however I really wanted to do today's class, and I'm glad I did. Great session - more sweat, more adrenaline pumping. It was fab.

Now, it's back to work for me ... I'm feeling energetic from the cardio, but sore from the weights and Pilates ...

Tomorrow is weigh-in day ... as you could tell I didn't eat perfectly according to The Plan, but I think I was able to make smart choices, and I know I hit my workouts really hard this week. So we'll see if it all worked out or if I messed up!

3 comments:

  1. 3 classes back to back? WOW!! I'm super impressed, that is a LOT of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Following you now--which I should have done earlier had I not been my normal pre-occupied! You're currently strong enough to use the 45 Olympic barbell for bench press! Very good!

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant 45 pound barbell up there, just to clarify.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)