Sunday, April 7, 2013

Bingeing on Negative Thoughts

You know you still have a lot of work to do when someone says or does something that is hurtful and your first thought is - 'it's because I'm fat' ...

While it is so easy to consume thousands of calories and literally weigh yourself down with unnecessary food and fat, it scares me that it is just as easy to weigh yourself down with negative thoughts that don't have as easy of a solution as exercising and eating healthy/watching portion sizes.

What's worse is that the negative thoughts just seem to constantly occupy my mind and I can't think of anything else. When I'm working out, I can sometimes use those frustrations to fuel my workout, but there are also times when it just causes my energy to drop and I don't feel like moving anymore. During the day, there are times when I'm not thinking about anything and then these negative thoughts just come flooding in.

All of a sudden, neutral thoughts turn into negative ones. I look in the mirror and I can't see any of the positive changes. I look around me and all I see is things that I have yet to tackle versus how far I've come.

It's tough. It's definitely the thing that I'm struggling with most as I've seen more often than not, the healthy habits in terms of food and exercise have remained steady. The thoughts, however, are another story.

There's still much work to be done.






7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:46 AM

    You are reading my mind with this post. I don't know why we are so hard on ourselves. My weight watchers leader once said to our group, "would you tell someone next to you, the awful comments you say to yourself?". Of course not. Once I am in the right mindset, the weight struggle will be conquered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know very many people who do not struggle with this. I know that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are our own worst critic.

    I try to refocus my attention on things I've done that make me proud, sometimes it's as simple as getting up the first time alarm went off and not hitting the snooze button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi A, I was just writing about this..Over the weekend I was out shopping and surprisingly I fit in a smaller jean size so happily I picked up 2 pairs, unfortunatly I picked my old size for one of them so I had to go back exchange them. When it was my turn at the counter there was some problem with the system so I was waiting for a good 15 minutes or more..thats when the person at the counter asked me if I had tried on the pants..the first thought that crossed my mind was 'is she asking me because she thinks I'm fat and I can't fit in them' I was thinking about this for so long..finally when I told Terence, his reaction was 'she was just trying to make a conversation, you were standing there for so long..what else could she speak to you about?'
    I wasted so much time feeling bad and trust me in those few minutes so many negative thoughts came rushing in and this has happend to me so many times, I feel like a fool sometimes I even doubt compliments, I can only see the wrong things..It is difficult to control such feeling I think everyday is work in progress for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Plum Petals, interesting post. You are the last person I would believe dealt with negative self imagery. I just look at all you have accomplished in your life academically(Doctor), socially (who goes to Germany and India for a wedding celebration?)spiritually (I wish I had an Ishvara) and physically (I can't list all your physical accomplishments). Have you heard of Tony Robbins? He is a motivational speaker than has helped change thousands of peoples self imagery. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi A! I actually think it is the opposite of the little sign. You change your body first, and the mind comes lagging behind quite a ways, possibly years behind.

    You have to be your own psychologist on this one, A. You have to listen to the negative message, figure out where it came from and possibly why that person would say that hurtful thing, and logically reject it because it isn't actually true. People say a lot of messages that aren't true to one-up us and psych us out. Keep rejecting them one by one. Those messages are wrong, as evidenced by how very well you do.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://wolfforlife.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-darkness-of-body-dysmorphia.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)