Sunday, September 4, 2011

Packing in a run

Pack. Unpack. Pack. Unpack. Pack. Unpack. See a pattern?

Yesterday’s journey wiped me out. I woke up completely sore all over. I had expected my legs to hurt from all the walking and possibly my arms from carrying two heavy bags, but I hadn’t expected my abs to be so sore … I underestimated how exhausting and painful climbing up and down all those flights of stairs plus running from platform to platform was going to be – especially after my cardio session at the gym. Oh well, I guess I got in a bit more cardio plus some resistance work. I sure am glad I worked on my resistance training before traveling – it came in handy yesterday!

Now I’m repacking for tomorrow’s trip.

Over the years, I have definitely become much better at packing light – mainly because I know that I’m going to have to handle my own bags as I’m hopping on and off trains. However, no matter how long or short the trip, there are certain things that I have to take with me … add workout wear and you’re going to need to come up with a whole new packing strategy.

A few years ago, before going on any trip I’d look up the hotel and check to see if they had a gym. Whenever there was one I’d be sure to take workout clothes with me. More often than not, I didn’t go … However, in the past 2 years, I’ve been good about going to the gym when traveling. Packing gym clothes for a 3+ week trip isn’t a problem. However, packing gym clothes for just a few days – it sure does seem like a lot of stuff to take.

So for my 2-night trip to Canterbury I’ve packed all my usual stuff … plus my running shoes, 3 pairs of socks, 3 t-shirts, 3 sports bras, 3 running capris, a pair of weight lifting gloves, my small gym bag, my heart-rate monitor, and my iPod shuffle & headphones … oh well, I guess it could be worse ...





1 comment:

  1. Believe me, I know about packing for workouts when traveling. I can never just take a carry-on because of my runs. But it's worth it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)