Losing weight has been filled with ups and downs - both emotionally and on the scale. However, managing to lose weight and continuing to grow stronger, faster, leaner, and fitter has been an amazing experience. I've discovered many things about myself, and this blog has helped me keep record of those moments. I still have a long way to go, but I'm moving forward with a positive attitude as I attempt to keep Workin' it Out.
I've been meaing to post this recipe for a while. It's really simple and a lot yummier than it probably looks. It's a good salad for winter because the French beans and tomatoes are warm. I've had a piece of grilled salmon with this as well just to add some more protein, but usually I just have the salad. It's actually got more calories than I realized - mainly because of the olive oil. You could reduce the amount of feta to lower the calorie count, but it really does add a nice change of texture to the salad.
Pictured without the pine nuts or dressing
4 cups lettuce/mixed greens
1 1/2 cups trimmed French beans
4 tablespoons feta cheese
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
10 cherry tomatoes
2 bay leaves
sea salt & pepper to taste
2 teaspoons + 1/2 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon honey
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Slice cherry tomatoes in half. Place on a baking tray (spray with olive oil before placing on tray) and sprinkle sea salt and ground black pepper on top. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the tomatoes. Also crush 2 bay leaves over the tomatoes. Bake at 225 for 45 minutes.
2. Top and tail the French beans; slice; boil for 5 minutes. Drain.
3. Make the dressing - combine all the ingredients together and blend well.
4. Toast the pine nuts in 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
5. Mix the salad ingredients - lettuce, French beans, roasted tomatoes, pine nuts, and feta cheese. Add the dressing.
Nutritional Info: (calories per serving/serves 2 - including the salad dressing)
19 g. protein
56 g. carbohydrates (16.5 g. fiber)
28 g. fat (4 g. saturated fat)