Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pushing through the Ick

I'm not sure how I made it through today. I mean, technically, I should have been exhausted and wiped out. I've had a long week. I didn't get much sleep last night. Plus I got my period today and was feeling crappy. Plus today was a national holiday so there could have been a big temptation to just curl up under a blanket on the sofa, find something to munch on, and watch back-to-back episodes of Top Chef.

When I look at my week and my day on paper, I would not have been surprised if that is what had happened.

But it didn't.

I knew that my routine would be off today since it was a holiday. D and I were going to meet his parents for breakfast at 9 and after that ... well, no solid plans really. Not having a plan for the day is usually what sets me up for failure.

Even though I only got 4 hours of sleep - because I stayed up to watch the Arsenal football match and it was totally worth it because of their win (finally!) - I got up at 5:45 and hoped that my eyes would open up enough so that I could make my way to the gym.

As I started to pack up my gym bag, I felt my energy start to pick up.

Some jammin' tunes in my car and I was looking forward to my morning workout.

When I walked into the gym at 6:45 a.m. it was absolutely empty aside from 1 trainer and the receptionist.

I love having the gym to myself! I quickly did some dynamic stretches, jumped around a bit, and then got on the cross-trainer to warm-up. I wanted to do workout 3A of New Rules of Lifting so I headed straight to the free weights section of the gym.

This first phase of the program is just to warm-up. Each workout is 2 sets of 15 reps each. I started off relatively light, but I'm happy to say that after just a few days, I'm already lifting heavier though not as heavy as I can actually lift. Doing more reps and fewer sets always messes with my mind a bit because I want to lift heavier, but it's just not possible when you've got that many reps, especially when you want to maintain good form.

I'm happy with today's sets:

Squats: 50 kg (110 lb); 55 kg (121 lb)
Lunges w/barbell: 30 kg (66 lb); 40 kg (88 lb)
One arm dumbbell row: 12.5 kg (27.5 lb); 15 kg (33 lb)

I did some core work and finished up my 60 burpees plus my stretching.

Breakfast was great and because I ate a bit more than usual and wasn't really feeling hungry, I skipped lunch.

I spent the rest of the afternoon at home preparing my lessons for the upcoming week. For some reason it was really stressing me out. I couldn't visualize how I wanted to approach my class so I was kind of stuck on how to lay out my plans. It was really frustrating and I just felt unsettled ... and then it kinda went downhill.

My mood started to throw off my desire to go to taekwondo tonight. I know that I just wrote a post about remembering the post-workout adrenaline. Trust me, I repeated it over and over again to myself. I guess I was just feeling icky, especially with my period, and the last thing I wanted to do was feel apprehensive while working out and wearing a white Gi. Ugh. How irritating that I even need to think about all of these things (or do I?).

Anyway. I went. I got through class. It was good - we did over 1,000 different kicks and boy was I did I feel it in my glutes and thighs.

I'm glad I went though I have to admit I didn't feel like I got the best workout, mainly because I was just feeling yucky. I kinda just felt like I did what I had to do. *shrug* I went through the motions but didn't feel it which irritates me coz' I love enjoying my workouts.

Still, it has been a long week/day. I guess not every workout can be a phenomenal one.


Today's Workouts
Cardio: 20 minutes on the cross-trainer
Weights: NROL Workout 3A
Stretching: 15 minutes
Burpees: 80 {challenge total: 730/20,130}
MMA: Taekwondo (45 minutes @ Sidekick Academy)

Today's Food
Breakfast: To be honest, I kinda lost track - smoked salmon w/cucumber and labneh plus a few other things that I tasted; I didn't eat until I was full, just enough to feel satisfied
Lunch: Nothing
Dinner: Baked fish, potato, and peas
After dinner: After 8

4 comments:

  1. Has no idea you were an Arsenal fan!! Great work today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! I'm an Arsenal fan :)
      Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. Great job on pushing through your mood and getting it done!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)