Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Pushing through the soreness

I was still super-sore this morning. I mean, super, super, super sore --- I could barely lift my hands up to my head to tie my hair back. I guess that's what I get for the 200 push presses (only a 20 kg/45 lb bar though - wtf?) along with 200 push-ups that we did on Monday. In addition to my arms, my thighs were killer sore - I think it's a combination of the 200+ squats from Monday as well as the frantic biking  of yesterday ...

Am I complaining? No.

I'm just surprised at how sore I am. Not doing CrossFit for 3 weeks will do that to you I guess!

I went to the gym this morning and couldn't help but laugh when I saw that it was empty. What happened to everyone's New Year's Resolutions? lol





I didn't have anything adventurous planned for this morning. I decided to do a slow and steady walk on the treadmill at an incline to loosen up my thigh muscles. The first 3 minutes were really painful. I actually thought about stopping, but I knew that the only way to loosen them up was to keep moving. Slowly but surely, my muscles began to loosen up and by the end of the half hour, I felt fine. My legs were still a little sore, but not anywhere close to how they were feeling before.

I then decided to tackle the burpees challenge that I set for myself. I never, ever thought that I would do burpees voluntarily, but as both Jenn and Norma have said before - if you hate it, you should do it! How else will I get better at them unless I practice (I'm saying all these positive things but believe me, I'm still resisting inside). Anyway - 60 burpees done.

Unfortunately since nobody showed up for Body Balance class it was cancelled so I had to stretch on my own. The instructor did work with me for a bit though to help me loosen up my tricep and chest muscles. It helped SO much!

I had the rest of the afternoon to get some errands done and rest a bit before heading out to kickboxing class. I was really nervous about how my legs and arms were going to hold up for the class, but I survived! I definitely paused more times than I would have liked to, but there were points when my arms were just burning. Still, no pain, no gain ... so I kept punching on. It was tough, but it felt great to be back!

At night I met up with a friend of mine who is visiting from the States. She's actually the only person I've literally known my whole life. It was lovely catching up :)

Today's Workout
Stretching: 20 minutes
Treadmill: 30 minutes (slow, inclined walk)
Burpees: 60 {challenge total: 120/20,130}
Cardio kickboxing: 1 hour {class at ClubFit}

Today's Food
Breakfast: Egg white and black bean salsa scramble (turned out much better than I expected)
Lunch: Small baked sweet potato with black bean salsa (I've got a ton that needs to be used up)
Dinner: Grilled lamb with some hummus and a few other bits of mezze + a piece of bread that I should have resisted :/
Snacks: 1 banana; 1 tablespoon of peanut butter; cup of green tea; 3 dates; 6 cranberries




7 comments:

  1. Good eats and the wonderful joy of sore muscles.

    Sounds like a great day, girly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm your sister in soreness today!!!

    UGHHHHHHH! I can't even walk down the stairs.

    Beautiful pain!

    Oh and btw, I still totally suck at burpees. My coach was telling me I squat on the way down and on the way up which is totally inefficient and makes it that much harder. I cannot stop myself from doing it though. I still need practice. Friggin burpees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen a gym with that many treadmills all lined up. Are there really that many or is that a mirror trick?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have thought the gym would be packed today. Oh well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been running outside and working out to DVDs. I've avoided the gym for fear of it being packed with all the new year resolution makers. Did I make the wrong decision? LOL

    Nice job with the burpees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear your soreness! My biceps, triceps, pecs and abs are still sore from pushups on Tuesday... ow! But you're right, the only cure is to keep moving. :)

    I so admire your burpee challenge - good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)