Friday, August 12, 2011

Rolling with the Punches

I did not make it to the gym today. I had a cardio session planned, but the stress of my PhD deadline approaching fast had my heart racing quite quick enough. The good news is I was on a roll. I had two tasks that I wanted to complete and I was determined to get through them. I tried to limit my distractions - it's amazing how much time ends up being spent on commenting on other blogs, checking my Facebook, browsing through online shops (all fabulous procrastination techniques) ... and I also tried to settle my mind with the thought - it's ok if you don't make it to the gym, you can go tomorrow. Watch what you eat, and get your work done.

The whole munching while studying thing had me worried at the beginning of my PhD (4 long years ago) ... you know how it is, you're sitting and reading or writing or editing and you just want to munch on something, especially comfort food. I think I've been really good at limiting that. In the beginning I might have grazed a bit more than I should have, but this past year and a half - pretty much nothing. If I do have something, then it'll be some type of protein/nutrient bar to satisfy a bit of that crunchy, sweet craving -- and in my absolute weakest of moments - I'm ashamed to admit this -- Flamin' Hot Cheetos. I know. I know. Artificial colors, preservatives, empty calories etc. etc. But the good thing about the flamin' hot Cheetos is that they're so damn hot that I could (though sometimes I didn't) just have a few to satisfy that craving ... (plus they're messy, who can type with orange/yellow Cheetos fingers?) Anyway. Even those cravings haven't happened as much as they could have, so I'm happy that the snacking has pretty much been under control.

Anyway. I got my two tasks done. Tomorrow (which is normally my day off from the gym) I'll work on my cardio and maybe even squeeze in Workout 8A. Let's see how it goes.



2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about blogs and FB being a time drain. I am finding that I'm spending way too much time on my computer this past couple of months. It's so hard because I've found so many great bloggity friends lately and I love reading their stuff, but I'm not reading or spending as much time outside as I would like. I need to find a better balance.

    Flaming Hot Cheetos rock. I try not to think of food as the enemy. Everything in moderation. And it sounds like your PhD is getting close to an end so don't feel too bad about missing workouts. Life happens. Tomorrow is another day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to the blogging world connection Kim! As you said - life happens ... it's something that I'm accepting more and more each day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)