Monday, June 25, 2012

Cauliflower Soup

A few days ago I made cauliflower soup for the first time (from scratch). It was delicious!!

The recipe is incredibly simple. What I love most is that it doesn't have cream or cheese in it (which is the problem with a lot of hearty, thick soups).

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 L (4 cups) vegetable stock {I used homemade vegetable stock to reduce the sodium}
1 large head cauliflower
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Saute the onion and garlic in the tablespoon of oil.
2. Add the stock and bring to boil.
3. Add the cauliflower and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Allow the soup to cool and then blend in small batches.



The original recipe called for Parmesan cheese, but I omitted it. I also used just a bit less than 4 cups of vegetable stock as I wanted the cauliflower puree to be a bit thicker.

Before serving I added 2 tablespoons of peas to add a bit of color and break up the texture a bit.

It's a very simple recipe. I mainly did it to use up my cauliflower and I did not have very high hopes for the recipe. However, it tasted so good ... I'm sure I'll be making it again soon!

Nutritional Info (calories per serving/serves 4)
125 calories
8.7 g. protein
18 g. carbohydrates (6 g. fiber)
5.75 g. fat (2.5 g. saturated fat)

1 comment:

  1. I love a good low calories vegetable soup. I struggle to eat enough veggies, but soup makes it easy for me. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)