Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Chick Pea Curry

I've always liked to experiment with cooking on my own. This recipe, however is one that my mom gave to me -- and it's one of my all-time favorite dishes to cook (and eat). It's not the 'freshest' recipe, but it really is tasty - very filling and low in fat. 

Ingredients:
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 tablespoon of each of the following spices: turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger, paprika
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can chick peas
1 cup water
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup peas
1 tablespoon garlic powder

Directions:
1. Heat olive oil in a pan and then add the diced onion. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly brown.
2. Add the spices. Mix well. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water to loosen the spices and help them cook. Stir and let cook for 3 minutes
3. Add the tomato sauce, chick peas, water, and tomato paste. Mix well and let it cook for 35 minutes on low heat. Stir once or twice every 10 minutes.
4. Add the peas (can be from frozen) and the garlic powder. Stir. Cook for another 5 minutes. 




Nutritional Info (calories per serving/recipe serves 3)
235 calories
8 g. protein
41.5 g. carbohydrates (11.5 g. fiber)
7 g. fat (1 g. saturated fat)

10 comments:

  1. Wow, how good does that look?! I am coming to stay at your place - you can fatten me up again, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I will *definitely* use this recipe. It is exactly the kind of food and spices that I want to add into my daily diet. Further, it looks like a simple recipe to make--my favorite are easy ones that I will cook often. Does your mother have a simple chick pea salad recipe?

    Oh, I love Indian food the very best!!! My oldest daughter is moving to another state today. :( A few days ago, the youngest two kids and I took her to an Indian buffet for our very personal going away party. It was a great time.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very flavorful dish. To cut down on the calories instead of eating it with bread or rice I usually have yogurt. The cool taste goes well with the spices in the curry.

      I've got a chick pea salad recipe posted on the recipes page of my blog :)

      Delete
    2. I will check that out. Great idea about the yogurt instead of rice.

      :-) Marion

      Delete
  3. This looks so good and I know my family will like it. Thanks for sharing. I've gotten away from my 2012 goal of trying two new recipes a month so this will help. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also been slacking on trying new recipes. I'll try to do that more often now.

      Delete
  4. This looks so good! I'm definitely going to have to remember this one when I start adding chickpeas and such back into my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delicious! Thank you for sharing! I can't wait to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What size is the can of tomato sauce?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)