Friday, June 22, 2012

Worn Out

I barely have energy to blog today so I'm going to keep it short.
There's a lot that needs to be done before you can leave Kuwait. I guess that's the same in every country. I remember having to check with all the different companies - insurance, cable, electricity etc. - in the States that my balance was paid etc. before leaving the country. That's what I've been trying to help my parents do for the last few days. It has been exhausting and frustrating. I have no energy to get into the details. Let's just say that the task of disconnecting our home phone line, which should realistically take an hour (maximum coz' we have to go to 2 buildings on opposite sides of the country), has so far taken up 7 hours over two days ... and the task is still not done. Today I almost cried.

When I got home after this ordeal all I wanted to do was grab that bag of chips on the kitchen counter and munch away while watching Grey's Anatomy.

I didn't. I had one more serving of my Pinto-Sized Shrimp Salad left from Tuesday - I've been trying out these new ZipLock salad containers to see if they really can keep salad fresh for up to 4 days, day 3 and so far so good! So I sat down with my salad and ate that while I zoned out in front of the TV.

I'm normally a very slow eater, but I think the stress that I was feeling from earlier in the day was manifesting itself through the speed that I was chewing. I was barely done chewing and swallowing before putting another mouthful in. I had to tell myself - slow down. Chew. Chew slowly. Rest between bites. Drink water.

I realized that if I rushed through my meal all that would happen is that I'd be done in 20 minutes and still be hungry (think that I was hungry) and then look for more to eat. Slowing down was the key.

It was an important discovery.

I watched 2 episodes and was finally starting to relax. I just wanted to stay on the couch, but there was CrossFit this afternoon. I almost skipped it, but I knew that I'd feel guilty + disappointed in myself if I didn't go ... so I went.

Since my shoulder was still a bit iffy I skipped the pull ups and cleans today and did alternate exercises. I realized during yesterday's pull ups that my shoulder wasn't ready to handle such strain.

The WOD was a killer.

2 minute sessions for a total of 20 minutes of:
ball to wall throws
box jumps
push ups
rope work

We were EXHAUSTED by the end of it -- didn't want to get off the floor!!

I'm so glad I went. It gave me that extra bit of adrenaline that I needed to push on back to my parents house and help with some packing.

I'll be at my parents house for the next two days continuing to help them get ready for the movers. No gym. They're going to need my time and energy - so if I'm MIA from the blog, that's where I'll be at!


  1. Ugh....moving sucks...but this phone scenario would definitely derail me. Yep, I do the exact same thing when I'm stressed or in a hurry, I do not take time to chew. Frustrating when you're surrounded by people who eat this way, kind of pick it up and eat the same way.
    Well done on the workout!

  2. Good luck with getting everything done. You're handling the stress very well. :)

  3. Hi! You should keep track of shoulder soreness in a fitness journal so that when they are sore, you can find the culprit. I generally will carefully space 100 pushups with at least two resting days before doing a many sets of bench press--because they both put stress on the shoulders. Planks have also put a lot of stress on the shoulders for me in the past. So I have to choose what I want to do, and then choose what *not* to do to save my shoulders from injury. It sounds like you are being alert to this situation, so that is good.

    Good luck on the move.

    :-) Marion


Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I can use all the support I can get :)